The James Cook Learning Academies are the cornerstone of the Tropical North Learning Academy, a partnership that exists across Smithfield State High School, Trinity Beach State School and James Cook University.
The goal of the academies is to drive a culture of aspiration and success across both schools, with an expectation of high academic achievement. Students are supported in developing the attributes of a lifelong learner.
- A knowledgeable person with a deep understanding.
- A creative and critical thinker.
- An active investigator.
- An effective communicator.
- An independent participant.
- A reflective and self-directed learner.
The academy programs are designed for high performing students to support their intellectual development and to help them reach their full potential.
There are 4 academy phases that target specific year levels:
- Young Achievers - Years P to 4
- Young Scholars - Years 5 to 6
- Junior - Years 7 to 9
- Senior - Years 10 to 12