At Smithfield State High School we "study the past to define the future".
Through the study of Humanities at Tropical North Learning Academy Smithfield State High School we are creating active and informed global participants. By this we mean students will become:
- Informed citizens - have a deep knowledge of the historical, economic, social and environmental issues of our world.
- Active citizens - creative problem solvers and risk takers for real world issues.
- Global citizens - have a wide perspective and show empathy and understanding.
- Participant - have the skills to become involved or to challenge ways of being life-long learners.
Humanities at Smithfield State High School follows the Australian Curriculum course of study and all students are assessed against national standards and criteria in both knowledge and skills. Our program encompasses the full complement of Humanities subject matter/strand which include History, Geography, Civics and Citizenship.
More information on the subjects can be found in the Year level subject handbooks in the Enrolment section.
Events and Activities
- Australian National Geography Competition
- Australian History Competition
- BLA Business Entrepreneur Events
- Australian Constitutional Convention
- Year 11/12 Geography Green Island Excursions, Skyrail and Daintree Rainforest
- Year 11/12 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Studies Tjapukai Excursion
- Year 11/12 Legal Studies Court Excursion
- Year 10 Humanities James Cook University Tropical Futures Program
Head of Department: Dan Kaggelis
Phone: (07) 4058 4339