"Mathematics is the trunk of the tree of knowledge"
Mathematics is a powerful and dynamic discipline that has evolved within and across cultures. Our aim is to make Mathematics an enjoyable and rewarding academic adventure by providing learning experiences that stimulate and inspire students to engage and achieve, through a problem solving focus that integrates technology in a range of practical contexts.
Years 7 - 10
All students must take Mathematics as one of their five core subjects. There is an academy class and a potential academy class in each year level. The other class groupings have students of varying levels and teachers differentiate their teaching to cater for all learning styles and the individual students' needs. As their progress is assessed there may be movement between classes over the four years.
Years 11 and 12
Authority subjects - Mathematics A, Mathematics B, Mathematics C. Please note it is not possible to study Mathematics C without also studying Mathematics B.
More information on subjects can be found in the Year level subject handbooks in the Enrolment section.
- Junior Mathematics Academy class - Year 7 - 10 students are challenged and extended with a range of enrichment activities designed to further stimulate their interest in Mathematics.
- Short Course in Numeracy - an alternative pathway for Year 10 students, this Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority approved course is the minimum acceptable standard required for numeracy qualification in the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE). Successful completion allows for not enrolling in Mathematics in Years 11 and 12.
- Tutoring is held every Monday afternoon to give further assistance to students across all year levels.
- Australian Mathematics Competition (AMC): 4 Distinctions and 49 Credits (2014)
- 98% of students achieving at or above the National Minimum Standard in NAPLAN testing.
Events and Activities
- Australian Mathematics Competition
- Year 8 QAMT Mathematics Quiz
- Year 9 Enrichment Day.
Head of Department: Fiona Pitman
Phone: (07) 4058 4325