'It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one that is most adaptable to change'.
The Smithfield State High School Science program endeavours to develop in all students the ability to develop and acquire the skills necessary to participate in a technologically advanced world and to engage actively in scientific endeavours throughout their lives.
Year 7- 10 Science curriculum is based on ACARA and aims to ensure that all students:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries about the world around them.
- are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science today and for the future.
Year 11 - 12 Science allows students to pursue the science discipline they desire. Different requirements are necessary to be able to choose a specific science subject. All three senior sciences Biology, Chemistry and Physics follow curriculum that aligns with QCAA requirements.
More information on the subjects can be found in the Year level subject handbooks in the enrolment section.
Events and Activities
- National Chemistry Quiz
- Wonder of Science and Science Engineering Challenges
- Wonder of Extreme Science Program Days
Head of Department: Zoe Hiddins
Phone: (07) 4058 4331