'Creating confident communicators who appreciate and use the English Language in a range of contexts.'
The English curriculum provides students with the skills to listen to, read, view, speak, write and create an increasingly sophisticated range of texts. It aims to create confident communicators who appreciate and use the English language creatively and critically in a range of contexts and for a range of purposes.
The Australian Curriculum: English is organised in three interrelated strands:
- Language – focuses on knowledge of the English language and how it works.
- Literature – focuses on understanding, appreciating, responding to, analysing and creating literature.
- Literacy – focuses on interpreting and creating a range of types of texts with accuracy, fluency and purpose.
The junior and senior English subjects offer students a number of pathway options. All subjects also incorporate the explicit teaching of literacy, writing and reading strategies. More information on the subjects can be found in the Year level subject handbooks in the Enrolment section.
- ICAS English Competition
- Lions Youth of the Year
- Calanna Rotary Junior Speaking Competition
- Inter-school Debating
- Reader’s Cup
- School of Distance Education NAPLAN Booster Program
Head of Department: Fiona Bell
Phone: (07) 4058 4362