"Mathematics is the trunk of the tree of knowledge"
Mathematics is a powerful and dynamic discipline that has evolved within and across cultures. Our aim is to make Mathematics an enjoyable and rewarding academic adventure by providing learning experiences that stimulate and inspire students to engage and achieve, through a problem solving focus that integrates technology in a range of practical contexts
Years 7 - 10
The proficiency strands understanding, fluency, problem-solving and reasoning are an integral part of Mathematics content across the three content strands: number and algebra, measurement and geometry, and statistics and probability. The proficiencies reinforce the significance of working mathematically within the content and describe how the content is explored or developed. They provide the language to build in the developmental aspects of the learning of mathematics. The achievement standards reflect the content and encompass the proficiencies.
More information on the subjects can be found in the Year level subject handbooks in the enrolment section.
Years 11 and 12
- General subjects - General Mathematics, Mathematical Methods and Specialist Mathematics.
- Applied Subject - Essential Mathematics.
- It is not possible to study Specialist Mathematics without also studying Mathematical Methods.
- Junior Academy Class - Year 7-10 students are challenged and extended with a range of enrichment activities designed to further stimulate their interest in Mathematics.
- Mathematics Competition.
- Year 7 and 9 Enrichment days.
- Tutoring is held every Monday afternoon to give further assistance to students across all year levels.
Head of Department: Fiona Pitman
Phone: (07) 4058 4325